- Christy McNeil, travel coordinator for the Richmond Dive
Club (RDC), proposes a liveaboard dive trip to Belize on the Peter
Hughes boat, Wave Dancer, at the monthly Richmond Dive Club meeting in
October 2000. The vacation is scheduled through Claudia Boone and Tina
Miller of Island Dreams Travel.
- Response to the proposed trip is overwhelming, and the 20
slots available on the M/V Wave Dancer for the week of October 6-13,
2001 fill within several weeks.
- The waiting list for the Belize trip becomes so long that
Christy contacts the Belize Aggressor, a competitive liveaboard yacht,
to determine if it can accommodate the overflow of interested club
- Christy secures an additional 10 berths on the Belize
- Christy and RDC President, Glenn Prillaman, work
two competitive companies to obtain an agreement that the two boats
will travel side-by-side for the week-long adventure.
- Email from Glenn Prillamen to Sue at Peter Hughes dated
Richmond Dive Club, Inc. has booked the Belize Aggressor AS WELL this
week and we have received an email from them stating they are willing
to run with the Peter Hughes boat this week They seemed excited as
well, as it appears that Richmond Dive Club will be the first to ever
book BOTH boats for a group. So far we have 6 confirmed on the 2nd boat
(you will always be #1!) and was wondering if we could receive written
confirmation that Peter Hughes is aware of the two boats running
together so that our groups will have opportunities to raft up, etc
during this incredible week of diving.
Glenn Prillaman, President
Richmond Dive Club, Inc.
- Ray Mars emails Christy 1/16/01 to let her know he had sent
her his deposit for the Belize trip and application for RDC membership.
Christy places Ray on the Aggressor, but a cancellation on the Peter
Hughes boat in March allows him to join his friend, Buddy Webb, on the
- Buddy Webb is notified by Christy via email on 4/02/01 that
he will be rooming with Ray Mars.
- Christy emails Lisa Powell, who was originally berthed in
the Wave Dancer, that she is confirmed for the
Belize trip on board the Aggressor. Lisa is later moved back to the
Dancer when a cancellation in June opens up a room for her and Mary Lou
- Christy moves Jimmy Topping from the Aggressor to the Wave
Dancer in order for him to be on the same boat as his cousins, Charlie
- On Tuesday May 15th. Island Dreams Travel notifies Christy
that Continental has cancelled the return flight out of Houston to
Richmond on Saturday, October 13th; the Club would have to overnight in
Houston and catch a return flight on Sunday, October 14th.
- Glenn and Christy work to confirm a return flight to
Norfolk, Virginia on Saturday, October 13th, as originally scheduled.
- Glenn arranges for a
charter bus from TourTime to pick up club members in Norfolk and
deliver them to Richmond upon their return.
- Ray Mars emails Christy 5/21/01 regarding accommodations on
the Wave Dancer:
sent an email to Buddy about room selection on the PH and got something
back about him being buff and cut and anyone would want to sleep with
him… Anyway, if you can put me on the Dolphin deck as first choice and
then into a Master Suite as second it would be fine. Buddy is sure
Glenn and Dave are going to "get even" with him! Anyway, I'd prefer to
pass on Rooms 1, 2 or 4 unless you're hooking me up with someone other
than Buddy! They've all got Queen beds. Take care, (I REALLY need a
- Cheryl Lightbound emails Christy on 5/30/2001 to let her
know she is definitely going to Belize and would mail her deposit
check the following day.
- Glenn confirms via email to Christy on 5/30/01 that he will
have a deposit check to her whenever she needed it.
- The Continental flight scheduled to take the RDC members
from Richmond to Houston on October 6th, a gateway
for Central America, is cancelled and Christy works
find another route to Belize for the already-paid-for liveaboard trip.
- Christy finds seats for the club on a 6:15 am Continental
flight (flight# 475) out of Norfolk, Virginia leaving the same day.
Glenn arranges for Tourtime to pick the travelers up at 2:00 am in
Richmond and get them to the Norfolk International Airport by 4:00 am
on the day of their departure.
- Jim and Kimberly Garrison host a pre-trip party at their
Sunday, September 23rd.
- The National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Miami, Florida, an
arm of the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA) begins tracking Tropical
Depression 11, forming 85 nautical miles southeast of Barbados.
- The storm system is upgraded to a Tropical Storm at 1200
nautical miles south-southeast of Puerto Rico. Tropical storm force
winds extend 105 miles from the storm center.
- RDC members track the development of the storm.
- Buddy Webb, out to dinner with friends the evening before
remarks that he is concerned about the storm and has a “bad feeling”
about the trip. The comment is out of character for the former marine
known for his adventurous and fun-loving spirit.